Friday 19 February 2010

Ask Sophie...

Jack,
I have been trying to bulk up and get a bit bigger especially in my upper body. I train at the gym 4 times a week. Mondays I do my chest, Tuesdays I do my Biceps, Wednesdays legs and abs, Thursdays I do shoulders. I do ache the next day but Im not getting any bigger or really any more tones. Is there anything Im doing wrong? Do you have any suggestions for what I should do?

Sophie
Jack, well done for your motivation of using the gym four times a weeks, keep that up! However, there are a few errors in your training plan. Ideally, if you want to bulk up you need to be training each muscle group 2-3 times per week rather than just once as you are doing now. You need to leave around 48 hours for your muscles to repair themselves before you work them again. Also, very important in a training programme is balance. If you work out one muscle group you need to also work the opposing group, ie when you work your chest you must work your back too. I have noticed that you are not doing this for your chest and back, or biceps and triceps. So try introducing this into your programme to avoid any postural problem which you may come across.
Here is an example for you...
Monday- Chest, Triceps and Abs
Tuesday- Back, Biceps and Legs
Thursday-Chest, Triceps, Abs
Friday-Back, Biceps and Legs

Depending on the amount of time you have to spare to use the gym, you could split the leg workout into two different days, and pop your shoulder workout in where you see fit. If you want a more specific workout programme then don't hesitate to email me and I would be glad to write one up for you.

In conjunction with this you could try out a weight gain supplement, containing protein to help repair your muscles. Check out the maxi muscle website. I would recommend their Progain supplement, available in chocolate, banana and strawberry flavour.

Keep me updated on your progress

If you have any questions you would like answered in regards to health and fitness, email me at barrettsfitness@googlemail.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

how do i get rid of my back love handles? I have lost weight and do not need to loose anymore possibly just need to max up on the tonning? Suggestions?
I do between 40 - 60 mins cardio 4-5 times a week